Thursday, September 30, 2010

Player Profile: A Conversation with Michael Schlact

Today I had the pleasure of talking to Michael Schlact, a Georgia native, pitcher in the Texas Rangers organization, and twitter.com celebrity. If you don't follow him on twitter.com yet look him up, it will be well worth your time.


Me
First off congrats on coming back from surgery to have a solid season.

Michae
l
thanks, it was a blessing to be back

Me
You've been in the Rangers organization since 2004 and are a free agent this year, would your first choice to be to return to them or do you have other teams in mind that you would like to play for?
Michael
Honestly, I haven't thought that far into it. The Rangers drafted me, and gave me the first opportunity to play professional baseball. I am so grateful for that. I think right now, my thinking is that whichever team is willing to give me a chance to pitch is who I would like to play for.
Me
So if given the choice you would stay with the Rangers?

Michael
That's something that I will discuss with them, my agent, and my family. I think when the time comes, the decision that's made will be the one that I felt most comfortable with, and it will be with the team that I felt I had the best chance to succeed with.

Me
You've been playing professionally for over five years now, what do you think are some of the most common misconceptions about being a professional baseball player?

Michael
I don't think some people realize the hours and hard work that are put into being a professional baseball player. I've met many fans who think we show up at 6 pm for a 7 pm game. The truth is, we're there at 2 pm in the afternoon running, throwing, and practicing. I think another common misconception is that minor league ballplayers earn huge salaries. That's not true. A lot of guys struggle to pay rent some months. It's all about the dream of playing in the big leagues. Another misconception is that sometimes fans get upset when a pitcher or hitter is struggling. I know from experience that more times than not, the times I'm struggling during the season were because I was working on a mechanical adjustment, trying out a new pitch, or some other work was being done to help me in the future. Everything in the minor leagues is not about winning here and now. It's about development and winning in the big leagues.

Me
Some players have regular jobs it the off season, do you or have you ever?

Michael
I give pitching lessons. I love doing it. I enjoy seeing people improve, and enjoy playing and learning the game of baseball. It also helps me, because the more you teach pitching, the more likely you are to retain a lot of that information yourself. Many aspects of pitching are much easier said or taught than done, so teaching it allows you to realize what you need to do personally.

Me
Pitchers often have reputations for elaborate rituals or superstitions. Do you have any you don't mind talking about?

Michael
I definitely listen to the same music at the same time each day that I start. I'll do the same arm exercises to warm up, and i'll stretch the same exact way every game. I have an order that I throw my pitches in the bullpen during pre-game warmups as well.
Me
In the minor leagues most teams do promotions with wacky looking alternate jerseys, what is the worst thing you've ever had to pitch in?
Michael
My very first AA outing at home was a Mary-Kay breast cancer awareness night. Amazing promotion, terrible uniforms. We wore these pepto-bismol pink uniforms.
Me
How did do do?
Michael
I believe it went well. I can't remember the exact line, I just know that there were about 15,000 people there, and I was pretty nervous.
Me
Well at least it wasn't a jinx
Michael
haha, true
Me
Your on twitter a lot, and have more followers than some major league players, how do you account for that?
Michael
I enjoy the connection with fans that being a professional ballplayer brings. I play the game, but i'm also a fan of it. I grew up idolizing baseball players, and I can remember the ones that were really nice, and the ones that weren't so nice. I believe that if I have this personal connection to the fans, it allows me to stay level headed, and allows them to see what our lives are really like. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, I can assure you that you're getting a glimpse of who I really am. I think people enjoy seeing what it's like away from the stadium and outside of the clubhouse.
Me
Random pop culture question, a planet has been discovered very similar to our own in another galaxy. Do aliens exist?
Michael
Does the planet have breathable air and water?
Me
We can't know for sure yet, but the prognosis is good.
Michael
Until I shake hands with a little green dude with a huge head, I'm gonna say no, aliens don't exist.
Me
Thanks for talking with me this morning I know all the tarpslides r-us readers will appreciate it.
Michael
no problem man

No comments:

Post a Comment