Friday, November 12, 2010

Braves Player Profile, Q&A with LHP Chris Masters

Recently I got the opportunity to have a quick Q&A with Braves left-handed pitching prospect, Kennesaw Georgia native, and all around good guy Chris Masters. He will likely begin the 2010 season with the Braves newest Minor League team, the Lynchburg Hillcats.

Matt White: First off thanks for agreeing to be interviewed and congrats on having a solid season for the Rome Braves. How did you like Rome in the time you spent there?

Chris Masters: I enjoyed playing in Rome. It was nice that it was only an hour away from my hometown in Kennesaw, Georgia and the family and friends got to come up alot which was great.  The coaches and the management were top notch and the city as a whole made it very accomodating for us.

MW:  You had a very good season but had a few rough outings at the end, did you get fatigued from a longer season?

CM: The first half went great.  I got to start for the South in the All Star game, but after a small injury to my elbow I did not really get back to throwing like I did earlier on.  I think it taught me alot of how to get back into the rhythm of things because I havent really ever experienced even a small injury in my career.  It was my first full season so I got a good feel of it and will know how to work out and condition my body and arm for a full schedule hopefully with no drop off this time.

MW: You played with some of the Braves other top prospects this year(Julio Tehran, Edwardo Salcedo, Myke Jones) what player were you most impressed with?

CM: I would definitely have to say Julio Teheran.  I have played with him for part of both seasons and the improvements, maturity, athleticism, and work ethic have really been impressive.  He is a standup guy who works hard and has some of the best stuff I have seen.  Very mature for his age.  I think Atlanta will be seeing him late next season or definitely in 2012.  

MW: If you could have any catcher for your personal backstop, past, present or even a non-professional who would you pick and why?

CM: I think I would choose Jason Varitek as my personal catcher.  This is not because he is the best receiver or has the best arm, but is one of the best students of the game I have ever seen.  Being able to pick his brain and to work with him I feel would make me so much better.  He really put in the work of studying hitters and really got on cue with all the pitchers he caught.

MW:Who do you think has had the most influence on you as a player?

CM: My dad has truly been the one who has really pushed me and instilled the drive and determination to be successful in baseball.  He worked me hard, but never overboard and taught me to be humble and how to carry myself on the field.  He put alot of hours in with me, got me in good leagues, and got me the lessons I needed to refine my game. 

MW:Minor league teams spend a lot of time of buses, how do you pass the time?

CM: Minor Leaguers get pretty creative on the bus haha.  We will play cards, bring our own movies or dvd sets, read, or just shoot the breeze.  Bringing your own pillow and even a sleeping bag to lay out on the floor of the bus if it is late.  Sleep aids become your new best friend ha.

MW: You have been mentioned in trade speculation some in the last two years, does that bother you at all?

CM: Trade speculation is a very interesting process and I am very optimistic about it.  Although I love the Braves organization, if I were traded to someone else, I would be totally fine with it.  I feel that I would have helped the Braves get someone they needed and also would feel good that someone else traded someone to get me in there system.  To me that shows that they would not have traded for you if they did not think you could make it all the way.

MW: Who is the toughest hitter you have faced so far in professional baseball?

CM:  J.D. Martinez in the Astros Organization who is flying through the Minor Leagues is a tough hitter.  His statistics were freakishly good, strong power hitter with amazing plate discipline and not many weaknesses in the zone.  I think he will be in big league spring training to start this year.

MW:Pitchers are notorious for rituals and superstitions, do you have any you don't mind sharing?

CM: I bow behind the mound take my hat off and pray right after the national anthem.  I also before every batter talk to myself out loud of how I am going to approach this batter and say some things to maintain my focus and agrression followed by two glove taps.  I also going on to the field turn side way and hurdle over the line.  I am a lefty, pretty much everything I do is weird haha.

MW:If you could go back in time to see one historical event what would it be?

CM:  I would love to have been there for Christ's resurrection and spend time with him until his ascension.  The joy of knowing that the person you serve, has resurrecting power would truly allow a faith level that could not be shaken. 

MW:Thanks again for agreeing to be interviewed I know all the Tarpslides readers will be really interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment